Senior Software Engineer, Java
San Francisco, CA
Blurb® is a book-making platform and creative community that enables individuals to create, publish, share and sell high-quality photo books, trade books, and magazines in both print and digital formats. Blurb is accessible to consumers across the globe with free, innovative book creation and layout tools. Founded in 2005, Blurb has over 2 million customers worldwide, resulting in over 4 million unique book titles, with nearly 18 million units shipped to almost 100 countries around the world. We are headquartered in San Francisco.
We evolve our platform continually in response to market opportunity. We need strong, experienced and imaginative server-side Java engineers to help propel that evolution. We are organized for teamwork, mentorship and professional growth. Ideally you are that experienced individual, motivated to help and mentor others, solve hard problems and advance your career.
As a senior member of our Agile team, you understand how to leverage Java to rapidly build RESTful APIs that are easy to understand, use and maintain. You know how to deal with external and internal clients to your services, and know how to make the call between extending, versioning or creating a new service. You can help with logic migration from Rails and Ruby, and can squeeze out every drop of performance, using well-architected API design, caching and occasionally dropping down to underlying frameworks. And, in all things you care about quality: careful coding and review, testing and thoroughness, deployment and verification. Definition of Done!
Education: BS in Computer Science or related discipline, or equivalent education plus relevant work experience
Work Experience: 7+ years of Java, strength on server-side, recent focus on RESTful Web Services
- Strong experience with Spring
- Experience with Hibernate, RDBMS design, query optimization
- Experience with caching methods like Redis, memcached, EHCache
- Experience with CI/CD tools like Jenkins, CircleCI, Travis CI etc., setting up pipelines and managing your build procs
- Skilled in analysis and design for implementation, sizing, performance tuning, and scalability
- Familiarity with Rails, Django or similar web app framework will be an added advantage
- Other keywords peculiar to our world: Linux, Tomcat, Dropwizard, Github, Postgres, Ansible, Maven, Gradle...and more :-)
- Focused written communication skills for subsystem planning and designs
- Team spirit! Making the effort and taking pride in helping others. Supporting your work in production with our DevOps team
- Able to listen and evaluate ideas and opinions without bias and contribute to a common culture of excellence!
Supervisory Responsibility: N/A
Blurb is a high-growth company, which means tremendous challenges and opportunities. We are looking for smart people who learn fast, solve problems, and get the job done. Our team is tasked with finding innovative ways to achieve hyper-growth and looking at new verticals and possibly new business models. May be required to work extended hours at times.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance (HMO, PPO, HSA options)
- Parental Leave Benefit
- Employer-Paid Life insurance, Short-term and Long-term disability
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Flexible Spending Accounts for Medical, Dependent Care, and Transportation and Parking expenses
- 10 Paid Holidays
- 15 Days Paid Time Off Per Year (with tenure-based increases after two years)
- Birthday Off
- Catered Lunch on Wednesdays
- Office massage
- $300 credit A Year to Create Your Own Books with Blurb
How to Apply
Please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Blurb is committed to equal opportunity and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, disability status or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the American with Disabilities Act of 1990. The job description will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and other job functions are subject to modification. Reasonable accommodations may be provided to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.