San Francisco, CA
Blurb® is a book-making platform and creative community that enables individuals to create, publish, share and sell high-quality photo books, trade books, and magazines in both print and digital formats. Blurb is accessible to consumers across the globe with free, innovative book creation and layout tools. Founded in 2005, Blurb has over 2 million customers worldwide, resulting in over 4 million unique book titles, with nearly 18 million units shipped to almost 100 countries around the world. We are headquartered in San Francisco.
We evolve our platform continually in response to market opportunity, and that requires continual innovation in how we manage it. We need strong and experienced IT/DevOps leaders who have depth in their toolbox and the imagination to apply those tools to "uplevel" our environment and methods. We are organized for teamwork and professional growth. Ideally you are that experienced individual, motivated to help and mentor others, solve hard problems and advance your career.
As a member of our DevOps team, you specialize in certain areas while backing up others in theirs. This means close collaboration and quick huddling for real-time decision making. You keep strong relations with our broader team, understanding their objectives and translating them into solid solutions that manage both risk and urgency. In short, you help us build an evolving and yet lasting foundation for deploying and managing our products. And, in all things you care about quality: careful analysis and review with peers, testing with thoroughness, deployment with verification. Definition of Done!
If this picture fits you, and you feel you match the qualifications below, please let us know!
I'm the new head of engineering at Blurb and I am fully involved in finding our next round of engineers. You can email me at email@example.com, with details at https://www.linkedin.com/in/chrisradcliffe1/ and https://www.linkedin.com/company/blurb/
About our Stack:
- Multi-datacenter / Cloud mixture
- Newly built infrastructure using KVM and Ansible ...and increasingly AWS/EC2
- Legacy infrastructure of VMware and puppet
- RHEL/CentOS with some Windows
- Configs, code, scripts, etc. in GitHub
- Both NFS and S3 used for storage
- SumoLogic / New Relic and other standard logging and event management tools
- General data center experience in terms of high-level knowledge on how to go from empty cage to working infrastructure.
- Experience with CI/CD tools like Jenkins, CircleCI, Travis CI etc., helping dev teams set up pipelines and managing build procs.
- Natural focus on automation of DevOps tasks
- Solid root cause troubleshooting fundamentals, including ability to decipher the purpose of code in languages you are less familiar with
- Good grasp of scaling techniques: performance optimization, caching, etc.
- Load-balancer and proxy experience, ideally using F5 or working experience with F5 LTM
- Experience utilizing monitoring and metrics to plan and execute solutions, and troubleshoot while on-call.
Preferred experience with the following technologies:
- Ansible 2 (-playbook, -pull)
- HashiCorp Vault
- Dell server hardware
- NetApp and Dell ECS
- EC2 and S3
- Git and GitHub
- Jenkins/Jenkins 2 pipelines and jobs / comparable CI tools
- Advanced bash (regex, functions, signals)
- Python, Ruby, Java, or SQL experience a plus
- F5 and HAProxy load balancers
- Icinga / nrpe
- SumoLogic / Splunk / New Relic
- Tomcat / Apache / Nginx
Supervisory Responsibility: N/A
Blurb is a high-growth company, which means tremendous challenges and opportunities. We are looking for smart people who learn fast, solve problems, and get the job done. Our team is tasked with finding innovative ways to achieve hyper-growth and looking at new verticals and possibly new business models. May be required to work extended hours at times.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance (HMO, PPO, HSA options)
- Parental Leave Benefit
- Employer-Paid Life insurance, Short-term and Long-term disability
- 401(k) Retirement Plan
- Flexible Spending Accounts for Medical, Dependent Care, and Transportation and Parking expenses
- 10 Paid Holidays
- 15 Days Paid Time Off Per Year (with tenure-based increases after two years)
- Birthday Off
- Catered Lunch on Wednesdays
- Office massage
- $300 credit A Year to Create Your Own Books with Blurb
How to Apply
Please email resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Blurb is committed to equal opportunity and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, disability status or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the American with Disabilities Act of 1990. The job description will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and other job functions are subject to modification. Reasonable accommodations may be provided to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.